Wednesday, May 21, 2014/lk
Attorneys for Idaho County, Sheriff Doug Giddings and Undersheriff Jim Gorges have filed a request for a jury trial and a point-by-point denial of plaintiffs’ allegations in the civil suit following from an illegal sexual relationship between then-ICSO deputy Daniel Funderburg and a Kamiah-area minor teenage girl.
In 2013, Funderburg pleaded guilty and was sentenced for sexual battery of the 16 to 17-year-old; details on the civil complaint were reported in the Free Press May 7.
Beyond responding to the allegations, the county’s filing – dated May 8 and filed in U.S. District Court – puts forward 13 defenses. Among them: that “plaintiffs’ damages, if any, were caused by the negligence or fault of plaintiffs” and that the plaintiffs may have “failed to mitigate their damages.”
More like this story
- Abuse victim files suit against ICSO
- Tort claim against sheriff’s office alleges civil rights violations
- Criminal charges pending results of victim autopsy
- County investigating thousands in cash found at property
- Man shot in dispute over tools theft: Anderberg ‘serious’ condition; Ellenberg charged with felonies