News and information from our partners

Tempus Fugit



10 YEARS AGO

JUNE 15, 2005

•COTTONWOOD — Dr. Jeff Edwards from Cottonwood’s St. Mary’s Clinic and his family will be moving to Texas next week.

•GRANGEVILLE – Thirty years after her daughter rode in the parades and rodeos as Border Days queen, Doris Swedblom of Grangeville will serve as the 2005 grand marshal.

20 YEARS AGO

JUNE 17, 1995

•Residents of Cottonwood are getting ready for some “whip snappin’ fun” this weekend as the fifth annual Buggywhip Festival is all set to begin this Saturday, July 20.

Several new events are being planned for Saturday including a bed race, ugly rig contest, rooster flying contest, a quilt show and a motorized go-cart exhibition put on by the Lewiston Midget Races.

30 YEARS AGO

JUNE 12, 1985

•Lisa Klement was selected the 1986 Grangeville Junior Miss during the Junior Miss Scholarship Program Sunday evening at the high school cafetorium. First runner-up was Becky Shira and second runner-up was Sue Lindsley.

40 YEARS AGO

JUNE 18, 1975

•Governor Cecil Andrus officially opened White Bird Bridge and new grade Monday by driving his limousine through a banner strung across the bridge on which was written “End of a Goat Trail, June 16, 1975.”

When Andrus began serving in the legislature, he had made comments about the poor road or “goat trail,” which led to the north.

50 YEARS AGO

JUNE 17, 1965

•On word Senator Robert F. Kennedy, New York, and Jim Whittaker, who conquered a Canadian Mountain together recently, are going to make a raft trip down to the Salmon River, scheduled to end at Riggins, July 2. Grangeville citizens headed by Major George Klein, immediately extended an invitation for the party to attend a day of Border Days taking place July 2, 3 and 4.

60 YEARS AGO

JUNE 16, 1955

•More than 300 children were in the Grangeville swimming pool at one time during opening day.

70 YEARS AGO

JUNE 14, 1945

•F.B. Riggins of Wapato, Wash., is visiting Grangeville and the Riggins Hot Springs. It is his father, John T. Riggins, for whom the post office at the confluence of the Little and Big Salmon rivers is named. A brother of John, George W., who died in 1913, is buried at the springs. He was one of the “Brave Seventeen” and his name is on the monument at the site of the Indian Battleground.

80 YEARS AGO

JUNE 13, 1935

•All Civil War and Spanish-American War veterans and all persons older than 70 years of age, may fish and hunt in Idaho without a license.

90 YEARS AGO

JUNE 18, 1925

•VOLLMER – Clearwater Co. bought the scorched and smoked wheat that was left from the big fire at Fenn. More than 12,000 sacks were salvaged and shipped to Portland where it will be sold out for chicken feed on the coast.

100 YEARS AGO

JUNE 17, 1915

•Lee Mahurin caught a big grizzly in a trap this week, the largest ever seen in the Salmon region. He was shot in the head six times with a 30-30 rifle before he was killed.

110 YEARS AGO

JUNE 15, 1905

•The ladies of the W.R.C. gave one of their enjoyable box socials at the IOOF hall last night to a very large attendance. The hall was tastily decorated in evergreens and the national colors.

120 YEARS AGO

JUNE 14, 1895

•Cottonwood is to have a new school house, a flour mill, another newspaper and a Fourth of July celebration.

•Henry Kuther, general merchant of Keuterville and Denver, was in town Monday and left an ad of his stores and a big $20 gold piece for the Free Press. Look up the advertisement of his two stores. He is straight as a string and means business.



Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

CLOSE X

Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)